Thursday, March 15, 2007

Arrival of a New Sister


When I last wrote, I was waiting for a new sister to arrive. I was getting curious about her, but I was still worried about having another doll exactly my size in the family.

Even though Ms. Merriweather said there was enough love and attention for both of us, I couldn't help but wonder if my family might end up liking my new sister a little better than me. Maybe she would be smarter than me, or more ladylike, or just....better.

Another part of me was worried my new sister might be mean. I have read books about dolls that were perfectly happy until a new addition moved in and ruined everything. I really hoped that wouldn't happen to me and my family. A rather naughty part of me wondered if perhaps Betsy's box might accidently get sent to another family. A family that would take good care of her, just...not my family. I gave up that kind of naughty wish yesterday when mama came home and found a notice in the mail box. My new sister was waiting at the post office and mama would pick her up tomorrow. I could hardly sleep last night wondering and worrying. I wondered if my new sister was lonely in the post office and I worried that everything I was afraid of might come true.

Mama came home at lunch today carrying a small box. She didn't have time to open it, so she left it in the care of Ms. Merriweather. When Ms. Merriweather opened the box, I saw my new sister, Betsy, for the first time.

She didn't look mean. She looked kind of helpless all tied up in her box. Ms. Merriweather said she was tied up in the box so she wouldn't get thrown around and hurt in the mail. Still...to be in a box since 2001, wearing the same dress for years, and tied up on top of that...well, I guessed it was a good thing she was fast asleep and had probably been that way for quite some time.

When Ms. Merriweather finished untying Betsy, she took her upstairs and put her on her new bed.


She decided to wait with Betsy until she woke up so Betsy would not be alone and frightened in her new home. Ms. Merriweather said it was important for Betsy to have peace and quiet right now, so she sent me and Nim downstairs to stay with Elrond.
He read us a story. I always enjoy hearing Elrond read and I wondered if my new sister might like that too.


After the story, it was time for my harp lesson. I love music and I'm learning to play the harp and piano. Nim prefers the guitar. I wondered which one would be Betsy's favorite, or if she would prefer to learn something entirely new.


While I practiced with Elrond, Nim did some homework.


A little later, I went upstairs to sit with Nim. I heard Ms. Merriweather talking softly to someone just above us. I supposed Betsy had woke up.

After a little while longer, Ms. Merriweather came downstairs leading a scared, shy looking little girl. She called me over to introduce us. Betsy didn't say much, but she smiled at me very nicely, then hung her head. I thought about how hard it must be for her to come to this new family. In fact, she was probably very worried about us liking her. And, she probably wondered if I was going to be mean to her just as much as I worried about her being mean to me. I guessed this was rather difficult for both of us, so I decided to try to be as nice as possible to my new sister.

Ms. Merriweather asked me to take Betsy to Elrond's office and introduce her. On the way, I told her about the wonderful stories Elrond told and all about how fun music lessons were. Betsy said she would really like to learn music...if there was time for Elrond to teach her too. I felt sorry for her again. She looked worried that maybe there wouldn't be time for Elrond to teach her too. He assured her there was plenty of time for both of us to learn, and that perhaps we would even like to take lessons together. We could learn to play duets. That sounded like fun to both of us!


Next, we went to visit Hitty Rowan. What fun! We had hot chocolate, popped some popcorn, and roasted marshmallows over her fire. After that, we played in our room until it was time for dinner.

Betsy and I talked a lot more over dinner. Even Nim, who usually doesn't say much, joined in occasionally. I told Betsy we were going to get to go on a fun trip in two weeks. She was very excited! We will both get new play clothes before then, and we talked about our favorite colors. Mine is pink, and Betsy's is green or yellow. Nim likes all colors, so she is never hard to please. Betsy and I hoped our play dresses would be in our favorite colors.



Finally, it was time for bed. Betsy and I were getting along so well, we stayed up whispering until Ms. Merriweather came upstairs and told us it was time to go to sleep. She said we would have plenty of time to talk tomorrow. I went to sleep thinking how glad I am to have Betsy as my new sister!